發新話題
打印

Red wine (Spain)

Red wine (Spain)

Anyone kn abt this wine?
The sales said that was gd,, I haven't tried yet!
it was abt 5x euro

DOC wine from Rioja, which is one of the most famous red wine regions in Spain. Majority of the grape should be Tempranillo (local species) with some Garnacha (Grenache in France).

Reserva Privada 1999: i.e. Private Reserve. Reserva means the wine has been aged in barrel for quite some while, should be > 18 months I guess. However the aging length does vary a lot among Spanish wines as I know their laws on these aspects are not very tight. (In ascending order: Joven (i.e. non-aged) --> Crianza --> Reserva --> Gran Reserva)

Personally I think 50 Euro is on the expensive side. 1999 is not really a great vintage for Rioja and most importantly, most Spanish wines can be bought < 20 Euro locally with reasonable good quality and styles.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Reserva in spain is minimum 3 year aging (oak cask + bottle, of which minimum 1 year in oak) before sale.  However, Rioja has a tighter requirement than than the requirement for spain in general, and I don't know the exact periods.

yes, in Rioja, the year aging is same (3 year), but the requriement in oak is more.  For RED wine it should be 18 months.  So derekastoria 兄 is correct that 18 months+ in barrel, but in additional, it should be totally 3 years aging (include aging in bottle) before sales.

the price cannot be cheap based on this aging requirement.  however, whether it's good or not.........another question

The long aging is not necessary expensive.  There is no requirement to be new oak, and I don't think it even specific it to be barrel (they only use the work "cask").  The major cost is thus just space and tides up capital.  You can get Rioja Reserva in HK easily for just $200 or even less.

EUR50 is very expensive for a Rioja Reserva, and the sales should give additional information to support why it derserve this price, either reviews by famous critics or a free tasting.

發新話題