發新話題
打印

[分享]小丘子會考英作論(三)

[分享]小丘子會考英作論(三)

第三講:實用五句法技巧(下)

3.豐富名詞的意思

有時寫文章的時候,會把同一個物體放在不同的句子中,在英作中這是很糟的。在英作中,要盡量會聚關於同一個物體的相關描述。要這樣做,大概有三種技巧:

一、利用verb-to-be的單句:其實這些單句所指的內容可以被改成形容詞/詞組。

例1:原句:We watched a movie in a cinema. The cinema was our favorite one.
組合後:We watched a movie in our favorite cinema.

例2:原句:He went to swim in Cheung Sha Beach. Cheung Sha Beach is the most beautiful beach on Lantau Island.
組合後:He went to swim in Cheung Sha beach- the most beautiful beach on Lantau Island.

二、一句描述性質,另一句描述動作:在英文中,動作是比較重要的,所以簡單的物件性質應放在「動作」句中。若在句前,可以用雙逗號隔開(寫成adverbial);若在句尾,可以用who / that / which 加上性質。

例3:原句:The driver was driving under the influence of alcohol. He crashed his car into a wall.
連起後:The driver, under the influence of alcohol, crashed his car into a wall.
或:Under the influence of alcohol, the driver crashed his car into a wall.

例4:原句:Hooligans set fire to shops. The shops were on either side of the main street.
連起後:Hooligans set fire to shops that were on either side of the main street.

例5:原句:My aunt hates cats. She is living on the other side of the street.
連起後:My aunt, who is living on the other side of the street, hates cats.

三、兩句不同的句子,但中心都圍繞著同一個物體:如此寫法不甚好,稱為”shift of focus”「焦點轉移」。若沒有特殊目的,就應避免轉移焦點,並盡量加入有關主詞的含意。

例6:原句:The Legislative Council will debate on the proposal to raise bus fare. Most people are against the proposal.
連起後:The proposal to raise bus fare, which is not supported by most people, will be on Legislative Council’s agenda.
或:The proposal to raise bus fare, to be debated in the Legislative Council, is not supported by most people.

4.以副詞/副詞組開首的句子

一般議論文都會用上以副詞開首的句子,因為這樣可以增強前文後理的連接。

例7:Thus, we cannot ignore the possible effects of global warming.
如果文中太多「所以」,可以轉用 Therefore, So, And so

副詞組可以豐富動作的含意,使句意完整。

例8:原文:We are surprised by his reaction. Then we burst into laughter.
改副詞組:Surprised by his reaction, we burst into laughter.

Adverb 副詞是一個艱難的課題,在此不作詳述。

5.複合句

會考程度不要求太多的複合句,亦有既定的形式,不宜作太長的句。在此亦不作詳述,只作個範例。

例9:原文:My son was playing with Sam’s cigarette lighter. I notice him doing that. Then I jumped to stop him.
連起:I jumped to stop my son when I noticed that he was playing with Sam’s cigarette lighter.
翻譯:當我發現兒子在玩弄Sam的打火機,我跳出去阻止他。

有幾句有些(老字號)補習社會推薦給會考生的複合句,是相當好用的,而且相當優雅,在此分享一例:

例10:Evidence shows that the economy is recovering and regaining momentum after financial tsunami hit Hong Kong over 10 months ago.
句式:結構:Evidence shows that <事件1> after <事件2>.
翻譯:自<事件2>以來,(現在)有證據(evidence)顯示<事件1>。
即:自十多月前金融風暴襲港以來,有證據顯示經濟正在復甦及重拾動力。                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

不錯, 推一推, 期待下一篇文章

發新話題